The College of New Jersey School of Nursing, Health, and Exercise Science
ARTICLE I – NAME OF ORGANIZATION
The name of this organization shall be the Student Nurses’ Association at The College of New Jersey (SNA at TCNJ).
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
Section 1. Purpose
- To assume responsibility for contributing to nursing education in order to provide for the highest quality of health care.
- To provide programs representative of fundamental interests and concerns to nursing students.
- To aid in the development of the whole person, his/her professional role, and his/her responsibility for health care of people in all walks of life.
Section 2. Function
- To have direct input into standards of nursing education and influence the education process.
- To influence health care, nursing education and practice through legislative activities as appropriate.
- To promote and encourage participation in community affairs and activities directed towards health care and the resolution of related social issues.
- To represent nursing students to the consumer, to institutions, and to other organizations.
- To promote and encourage students’ participation in interdisciplinary activities.
- To promote and encourage recruitment efforts, participation in student activities, and educational opportunities regardless of a person’s race, color, creed, sex, lifestyle, national origin, age or economic status.
- To promote and encourage collaborative relationships with nursing and related health organizations
ARTICLE III – MEMBERS
Section 1. School Constituent
- School constituent membership is composed of active and associate members who attend at least five meetings and one event per semester.one meeting per month and participate in at least one committee
- Membership in NSNA is a requirement to be an active member in SNA at TCNJ. Upon Presentation of financial hardship other arrangements can be made.
- SNA at TCNJ shall be composed of at least 10 members from The College of New Jersey Department of Nursing. There shall be only one chapter on this school campus.
- For yearly recognition as a constituent, an officer of SNA at TCNJ shall submit annually the Official Application for the National Student Nurses Association (NSNA) Constituency Status which shall include the following areas of conformity: purpose and functions, membership, dues, and representation.
- A constituent association which fails to comply with the bylaws and policies of NSNA shall have its status as a constituent revoked by a 2/3 vote of the Officers and Board of Directors, provided that written notice of the proposed revocation has been given at least two months prior to the vote and the constituent association is given an opportunity to be heard.
- The Student Nurses Association at The College of New Jersey is an entity separate and apart from NSNA and its administration of activities. NSNA and SNA at TCNJ have no liability for any loss, damage, or injury sustained by third parties as a result of the negligence or acts of SNA at TCNJ or its members. In the event that any legal charges are brought against NSNA and SNA at TCNJ, SNA at TCNJ will indemnify and hold harmless the NSNA and/or SNA at TCNJ from any liability.
Section 2. Categories of Constituent Membership Members of the constituent associations shall be:
- Active members:
1) Students enrolled in state approved programs leading to licensure as a registered nurse.
2) Registered nurses enrolled in programs leading to a baccalaureate degree with a major in nursing.
3) Active members shall have all the privileges of membership.
- Associate members:
1) Pre-nursing students, including registered nurses, enrolled in college or university programs designed as preparation for entrance into a program leading to the Department of Nursing baccalaureate degree program.
2) Associate members shall have all of the privileges of membership except the right to hold office as president or vice president at school, state, and national levels.
- Individual members:
1) Individual membership shall be open at the national level to any eligible student when membership in a constituent association is not available. Individual members shall have the privileges of membership as prescribed in NSNA bylaws.
- Active and associate membership shall be renewable annually.
Section 3. Extended Membership in NSNA Active and associate NSNA membership may be extended six months beyond graduation from a student’s program in nursing, providing membership was renewed while the student was enrolled in a nursing program.
Section 4. Dues
- The Annual NSNA dues for active and associate members shall be those published annually by NSNA. The dues for these members shall be established for a period of twelve to twenty-four consecutive months.
- The SNA at TCNJ board of directors shall have the authority to change chapter membership dues, providing such dues do not exceed the amounts set in these bylaws.
- National and state site dues shall be payable directly to NSNA. NSNA shall remit to each state constituent the dues received on behalf of the constituent. NSNA shall not collect or remit school chapter dues.
- In the event that SNA at TCNJ charges chapter dues, these will be collected by the chapter treasurer and shall not be collected nor remitted by the NSNA.
Membership in NSNA is not a requirement to participate in SNA at TCNJ.
ARTICLE IV – BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1. Composition
- The Officers shall consist of: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- The Board of Directors shall consist of: President, Vice President, Secretary, Director of Finance and Fundraising, Director of Professional Development, Director of Public Relations (PR) and Events, Director of Multicultural Awareness, Director of Fundraising, Director of Resolutions, and Events, and Faculty Advisor.
- The following subcommittees will have chairs appointed that are non-board members, and will be responsible for communication with their board liaisons: organized travel chair, alumni relations chair, health awareness, blood drive, nursing semiformal, senior recognition ceremonyrest and relaxation, fundraising, volunteer, and nursing buddies. The Board of Directors as necessary to accomplish the goals of the organization may convene additional ad hoc volunteer subcommittees.
- Members of the Board of Directors are required to be members of the NSNA in order to further the knowledge of nursing issues and to promote leadership and professionalism in their field.
- The Officers and Board of Directors shall appoint, by application process, all undergraduate members to Department of Nursing Committees, as requested by the faculty and administration of the School of Nursing, Health, and Exercise Science.
Section 2. Responsibilities
- The Officers and Board of Directors shall be responsible for
1) Transacting business of the association between membership meetings and shall report such transactions at the next regularly scheduled membership meeting.
2) Attending monthly board meetings and bimonthly general body meetings weekly officer meetings, monthly board meetings, and weekly general body meetings for all positions, including chair positions.
3) Filling vacancies in any office by 2/3 majority vote of the Officers and Board of Directors, excluding that of President.
4) Reviewing monetary disbursements, acquisitions, and fund raising activities, as well as being responsible for procuring persons for audit of all accounts on an annual basis.
- Duties of the Officers and Board of Directors shall consist of:
1) The President shall:
a) Preside at all meetings of the association, appoint special committees as needed, perform all other duties pertaining to the office, and represent this association in all matters to the local nurses association, state nursing association, and other professional and student organizations.
b) Serve as chairperson of the OfficersBoard of Directors.
c) Serve as representative of the SNA at TCNJ to the faculty of the Department of Nursing.
d) Meet with the Dean, Associate Dean, and faculty advisor as needed.
e) Organize Kaplan NCLEX Review Course.
f) Can be an ad hoc member of any Board of Directors or committee meeting.
2) The Vice President shall:
a) Assume responsibility of the office of President in the event of a vacancy occurring until the next regular election.
b) Preside at meetings in the absence of the President.
c) Assist and act as an advisor to the President.
d) Organize senior pictures for January. Senior Composite Photos..
e) Recruit and assign Nursing Families.
f) Coordinate health fairs with community partners.
g) Oversee Semi-formal, Blood Drive, and Pinning Chairs.
h) Serve as co-chairperson to subcommittee chairs to provide increased assistance with projects and events..
3) The Secretary shall:
a) Record and distribute the minutes of all the general body meetings of this association to the SNA at TCNJ listserve within one week of the meeting.
b) Record the minutes of all Officer and Board of Director meetings and distribute to Officers and Board of Directors within one week of the meeting.
c) Keep on file as permanent record all reports, papers, and documents submitted to the Secretary/Director of Finance and Fundraising.
d) Refer to duly appointed committees the necessary records for the completion of business.
e) Monitor SNA at TCNJ mailboxes and e-mail account.
f) Update SNA at TCNJ listserve to represent current SNA at TCNJ membership.
g) Maintain running list of active SNA members.
h) Create letter certifying active membership and distribute every semester.
4) The TreasurerDirector of Finance and Fundraising shall:
a) Submit funding requests to the Student Finance Board (SFB).
b) Prepare an annual budget for the Student Government Association (SGA), SFB, and SNA at TCNJ.
c) Submit financial reports to the membership as directed by the President.
d) Prepare monthly financial reports to be submitted to and reviewed by the President and faculty advisor with general financial report to the board.
e) Keep a permanent record of all funds received and disbursed.
f) Present a monthly financial report at general meetings.Guide Fundraising Subcommittee Chair.
g) Remit payment for approved debits according to the following:
i. Disbursement of Funds:
1. Requests for disbursement of funds shall be made in writing to the Officers and Board of Directors using a check request disbursement form.
2. All expenditures must be approved by the Officers and Board of Directors.
3. Shall disburse funds upon reception of receipts for given expenditures.
4. Shall follow appropriate SFB regulations for disbursing SFB approved funding.
5) The Director of Professional Development shall:
a) Organize the annual Nursing Career Fair.
b) Represent this organization in all communication with the New Jersey Nursing Students (NJNS) and the National Student Nurses Association (NSNA):
i. Submit articles to the NSNA News according to the publication deadline.
ii. Submit articles to Imprint according to the publication deadline.
iii. Inform the Board of Directors of important deadlines related to NSNA events and awards.
c) Provide information regarding arrangements for conventions, including registration and hotel accommodations.Be responsible for collaborating to write a resolution that brings to light a specific concern of nursing and nursing students. The proposed resolution shall be submitted to the NJNS and NSNA conventions as deemed appropriate by the Board.
d) Work with career services to organize resume/interview workshops.
e) Oversee Alumni Relations Chair.Organize the Kaplan NCLEX review course for seniors.
6) The Director of Public Relations (PR) and Events shall:
a) Keep bulletin boards designated for SNA at TCNJ use up-to-date with events and projects.
b) Maintain and update SNA at TCNJ facebook and website.
c) Prepare notices to raise awareness of organization activities.
d) Monitor and update the SNA at TCNJ website.
e) Collaborate with subcommittee chairs for health awareness, organized travel, alumni relations, blood drive, nursing semiformal, senior recognition ceremony, rest and relaxation, fundraisingvolunteer, nursing budand other events and ad-hoc subcommittees as deemed appropriate by the Officers and Board of Directors.Work with Alumni Affairs to host an event for homecoming.
7) The Director of Multicultural Affairs shall:
a) Collaborate with the Director of Public Relations, health awareness subcommittee chair, and multicultural subcommittee chairs to Rraise awareness of multicultural issues and health disparities within the School of Nursing, Health, and Exercise Science and around campus.
b) Communicate to/with other multicultural organizations on campus to establish a rapport and organize events collaboratively.
c) Collaborate with the President to coordinate a culturally focused meeting for all members once a semester.
d) Oversee Organized Travel Chair.
8) Director of Fundraising
a) Responsible for developing fundraising ideas for SNA.
b) Give all money raised to the Treasurer to be placed in the SNA bank account.
c) Coordinate at least 1 apparel sale per semester.
d) Oversees stethoscope sale.
9) Director of Resolutions
a) Responsible for researching an issue that is of concern to nursing and nursing students.
b) Responsible for writing an agreed upon resolution that brings to light a specific concern of nursing and nursing students.
c) Proposed resolution shall be submitted on behalf of SNA at TCNJ to NJNS and NSNA conventions as agreed upon by the Officers and Board of Directors.
10) The Faculty Advisor shall:
a) Provide guidance and support.
b) Serve as a resource to the student organization.
c) Act as the liaison between the student organization and faculty and staff.
11) Organized Travel Chair
a) Responsible for organizing a travel trip for members of SNA.
b) Collaborates with the Director of Multicultural Awareness on presenting about the trip at a general body meeting.
c) Collaborates with the Director of Fundraising to develop ideas for raising money for the trips.
d) Oversee Organized Travel Committee.
e) Does not have to attend the trip ***
f) Reports to the Director of Multicultural Awareness.
12) Alumni Relations Chair
a) Responsible for developing relations with Alumni.
b) Responsible for organizing a Nursing alumni event during Homecoming.
c) Responsible for organizing an Alumni Nursing Forum each semester where current students can meet and interact with nursing alumni.
d) Oversee Alumni Relations Committee.
e) Reports to Vice President.The Multicultural Mentorship Subcommittee Chair shaPartner underclassmen with upperclassmen.
Organize a social event at least once per semester.Report to the Director of Multicultural Relationships.The Multicultural Study Group Subcommittee Chair shall:Organize meetings that support multicultural ideas.Organize weekly times and places for study group seThe Health Awareness Subcommittee Chair shSelect one (1) health awareness topic per semester.Plan at least one health awareness event with said topiOrganize informational events within the school and greater community.Collaborate with the Directors of Finance andReport to the Vice President.
13) The Blood Drive Committee Chair shall:
a) Plan at least one blood drive event per semester/year as appropriate.
b) Organize blood drive(s) and coordinate with health services and other student organizations as appropriate.
c) Collaborate with the Directors of Finance, and Public Relations (PR)R and Events
d) Oversee Blood Drive Committee.
e) Report to the Vice President.
14) The Nursing Semiformal Committee Chair shall:
a) Annually plan the nursing dinner.
b) Organize the location and food selections.
c) Distribute tickets and collect monies for tickets.
d) Collaborate with the Directors of Finance, and Public Relations (PR) and Events, and Fundraising.
e) Present budget to Officers and Board of Directors.
f) Oversee Semiformal Committee.
g) Report to the Vice President.
15) The Senior Recognition Ceremony Committee Chair shall:
a) Annually, organize the senior recognition ceremony.
b) Organize the ordering of nursing pins.
c) Mail invitations.
d) Organize speakers for the ceremony..
e) Coordinate with the secretary of the Department of Nursing to reserve rooms for the ceremony and reception.
f) Coordinate with the secretary of the Department of Nursing to order food for the reception.
g) Collaborate with the Directors of Finance, Public Relationsand (PR) and Events, Fundraising, and Alumni Relations chair.
h) Report to the Vice President.
a) The Rest and Relaxation Subcommittee Chair shallCoordinate at least one entertainment event per semester.Plan the holiday party in DecembReport to the Vice PresiThe Fundraising Subcommittee Chair shall:Delegate to the following three subcategories: clothing sale, stethoscope sales, and miscellaneous fundraising events (e.g. Shake-A-Cans, Sovereign Bank Arena).
Organize at least one fundraising event each month and one major fundraising event each year.
Work with Secretary/Director of Finance and Fundraising to compile philanthropy budget.
Deliver all funds accrued after fundraising events to the Secretary/Director of Finance and Fundraising.
Guide CPR Subcommittee Chair.
a) Organize and maintain committee to assist in selling and distributing fundraising iteReport to the Vice Presi
14) The Nursing Buddies Subcommittee Chair shall:
Offer students the opportunity to have a buddy.
Set up buddies, upperclassmen with underclassmen.
Organize an event for buddies to meet in September.
Report to the Vice Presid15) The Volunteer Subcommittee Chair shall:
Organize at least one volunteer opportunity per semester.
Inform students of various opportunities available.
Report to the Vice Presi
Section 4. Absences
- Officers or Members of theBoard of Directors who have missed more than threetwo regularly scheduled meetings of any current term year without prior notification to the Officers Board of Directors and who offer no valid reason for such absences may be removed from office by plurality vote of the current membership present at the next scheduled meeting. The Oofficer or Board of Director member in question will be notified in advance of the meeting.
- Any Oofficer or Board of Directors member may also be removed from office by a plurality vote of all Officers and Board of Directors at a meeting called for that purpose if that officer is deemed negligent in the functions of that office as stated in these bylaws.
- Prior notification of two weeks shall be given to the individual in question and a special Officers and Board of Directors meeting shall be held to review the circumstances.
ARTICLE V – ELECTIONS
Section 1. Elections of Board of Directors
- Elections shall be held during the last week of March.first general body meeting after Spring Break.
- All elections shall be by secret ballot.
- Terms of office shall last from June through May.May through April.
- In the event of a tie, a re-vote shall be held at the same meeting.
- All nominations shall be solicited and made from the floor at the general meeting prior to the election meeting.
- Candidates may be self or otherwise nominated.
- The faculty/staff advisor will be requestedappointed by the Officers and Board of Directors per approval by Department of Nursing annually.
- Members can only participate or vote in spring elections if they achieved active member status in the fall term.
ARTICLE VI – MEETINGS
Section 1. Membership Meetings
- General membership meetings will be held weekly twice per month or as needed due to event planning.
- Meeting dates and times shall be set by the OfficersBoard of Directors, who will take into consideration recommendations from the general members.
- The President shall have the authority to convene special meetings as deemed necessary and shall notify the general membership of such meetings, location, and times.
Section 2. Board of Directors Meetings
- Meetings will be held monthly.
- Board members will discuss issues pertinent to the organization to the discretion of the President, as well as elicit brief reports from each of the board members on the progress of their position’s activities.
- SubCcommittee chairs will be required to attend Board of Directors meetings as deemed necessary by the President.
ARTICLE VII – COMMITTEES / SUBCOMMITTEES
Section 1. Appointments
- Committee members shall be named on a voluntary basis and shall be supervised by the chair.
Section 2. Responsibility
- All committees/subcommittees shall be responsible to the Officers and Board of Directors for reporting activities on a regular basis and shall, upon direction of the Officers and Board of Directors, report same to the general membership.
ARTICLE VIII – DELEGATES
Section 1. Purpose and Function
- To serve as spokespersons for this association at the annual state and national conventions.
- Present to the state and national organizations all proposed resolutions or amendments to bylaws or policies proposed by this association.
- To keep informed as to all current and proposed resolutions at the state and national levels and report information to this association’s membership at regularly scheduled membership meetings.
- To make available to members updates, explanations, and copies of current and proposed state and national resolutions.
Section 2. Qualification and Appointment
- Any member who is active in SNA at TCNJ projects and NSNA and is nominated by current membership at a regularly schedule meeting, and is in attendance at the state and/or national convention is eligible to hold the position of delegate.
- Appointment shall be for one (1) year and shall be made through nomination by those members eligible to vote and voting. The nomination receiving the majority of votes cast shall be awarded the position.
Section 3. Delegate Representation
- School constituents:
1) SNA at TCNJ, when recognized as an official NSNA constituent, shall be entitled to one voting delegate and alternate at the NSNA House of Delegates, and in addition, shall be entitled to one voting delegate and alternate for every 50 members.
2) The school association may designate an alternate delegate for each delegate by one of the following two mechanisms:
a) Selection and/or election by members of the school chapter according to chapter bylaws; or
b) Written authorization to the State Board of Directors requesting them to appoint a member of the State Board to act as a state appointed alternate for their school chapter.
i. School chapters should approve appointment.
ii. The State Board of Directors shall verify that any state-appointed alternate is a member in good standing of the NSNA and NJNS.
iii. A school chapter must have a selected and/or elected delegate present at the NSNA convention in order to have a state appointed alternate seated in the House of Delegates.
iv. All alternates, whether school-selected or state-appointed, shall have the same privileges as an elected delegate when seated in the House.
3) SNA at TCNJ shall be entitled to delegates according to the number of members in good standing in NSNA. Delegates shall be computed on the basis of the number of members in each constituent as evidenced by the annual dues received by NSNA on a date of eight weeks prior to the annual meeting.
ARTICLE IX – AMENDMENTS
Amendments to these bylaws may be made at a monthly meeting of SNA by 2/3 vote of the members present, provided that notice of proposed amendments have been sent to members and the presiding officer in writing prior to the meeting. Proposed amendments must be submitted in writing to be considered.
ARTICLE X – PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY All meetings of this association shall be loosely conducted according to the parliamentary law as set forth in Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised where the rules apply and are not in conflict with these bylaws.
Revised 4/2012 3/2009